Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Brent ponders

thinkerBrent Ashley, great guy and Curious George in all things, ponders how to deal with comments. Should one leave no-spam up or not. Should one cover one's tracks when one has said something foolish? Apparantly, this is also an issue with others who are plumbing the depths of what it is to be a blogger.

Blogging is something that has emerged from the confluence of technology and human nature. Given that human nature cannot be boiled down to a handy set of variables shivering nakedly under a microscope, one would expect that blogs would end up being as variable as the wellspring of their birth. It probably won't work to try to herd people into compliance with a set of rules for blogging. Who would listen? Who would care? Perhaps a self-selected group of people who might be under the illusion that their opinion should act as a guide to how things are done. If one aspires to a certain definition of what a blog or what blogging is perhaps one should adhere to such guidelines.

What's probably best is for people to decide for themselves how they want to manage their blogs. I personally like my blog in the way I like a good photograph. It's an aesthetic thing. I'm in the process of waffling over whether to re-enable comments. I like comments for the feedback and to know that I'm not alone, but I'm not really a hard-core journalist.